About Catering At Its Best
Catering At Its Best is a full service Catering & Special Event company.
Serving our loyal clients and creating memorable special events since 1995
OUR SERVICES INCLUDE:
- Full service catering & special events
- Customized event planning & site locations
- Full bartending services available
- Experienced, professional servers & OLCC licensed bartenders
- On site managers at every event
- Complete rental coordination: tents, tables, chairs, dance floor, room decor, props, etc…
Catering At Its Best is committed to the core values of Honesty, Integrity & Hard Work.
We believe in successful partnerships with our
Customers, Employees, Vendors & Community
OUR COMMITTMENT TO THE COMMUNITY
Since our inception in 1995, Catering At Its Best has taken steps to make the community a better place. Our early recycling of paper, glass and plastics were a good first step. However, as the local and world environment has changed, a bigger commitment was needed from all of us: government, the business community and individuals.
We have some catching up to do; we are researching and instituting programs and policies covering many areas. We are committed to making a positive difference and welcome additional suggestions from our customers, vendors and employees:
- At no cost to our staff, full time employee receive all zone Tri-Met passes, to encourage the use of mass transit
- Car pooling is encouraged, including the use of two 6 passenger pick ups for shuttling employees to off site events
RECYLING & COMPOSTING
- Recycling of paper, glass, metal, film, foil, plastic, office paper and cardboard in our kitchen and all off site events
- In 2007, we joined Metros’ PORTLAND COMPOSTS project, separating food waste in our kitchen and at events
LIGHTING & ENERGY
- All lighting in our kitchen and offices has been converted to either low energy fluorescent or compact fluorescent bulbs
- Effective January 2008, we converted to PGE’s “Green Source”, 100% renewable power
- Computer and office equipment are turned off at night
- Vehicles are kept tuned, tires inflated and in good working order to achieve the highest possible gas mileage
- As older delivery vehicles are replaced in the future, we are committed to replacing with fuel efficient, lower carbon emitting vehicles (bio-diesel or the latest commercially available clean fuel alternatives)
- All leftover food from events are returned to the community; either The Salvation Army Harbor Light facility in Southwest Portland or staff are permitted to take home food for their families
- Participating donor involvement to community groups including The Cascade Aids Project and the Portland County Library Foundation Gala
- Provide internships for low income youth through the Springdale Job Corps Center, http://www.springdalejobcorps.org
- Trans-fats are being eliminated from our storeroom shelves; over 20 ingredients that contained these harmful fats have been eliminated and we are researching replacements for the few items that remain
- We use only Canola or Olive oils for cooking or frying and have ceased using margarines or hydrogenated fats
- In the Spring of 2008, Catering At Its Best will institute a non-smoking work environment, encouraging employees to “kick the habit” by providing access to free community health services & information
- Our customers consume a lot of bottled water, so we have committed to selling only “ATHENA” bottled water, 100% of their profits are donated to women’s cancer research; please visit their website.
- We are researching local products and vendors in food, supplies and equipment. When feasible economically, we will do our best to support the local economy, while creating the least negative environmental impact
- We have replaced many paper and plastic products, with the goal of using higher (35-%, where available) post consumer recycle content or compostable products
IN THE FUTURE
We will do more and welcome suggestions from all in the community. We will partner and talk with vendors, government and employees to make a real difference. We are currently researching corn based disposables to replace some or all of our disposable plastic ware, providing corporate clients with the equipment for using our recycling and composting facilities, and replacing our pvc box lunch containers with a compostable alternative.
We have received the Portland’s’ Office of Sustainability “Recycle Works” award. We welcome visitors to tour our kitchen and see our commitment!